Bird List To Date

Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 1 - The Usual Suspects

The first bird of my Shoreacres Big Year was a Northern Flicker. No big surprise as they are daily visitors to the suet feeder. Bird number two were fertilizing the lawn in the back yard - Canada Geese. I was happy to see the third bird, a Northern Shrike, as it is not always seen. It appears to be a winter resident here as the flat fields provide habitat for voles and mice. Number four was an American Crow. They are very common here. In fact, last week I saw one eat a Townsends's Vole which I suspect he stole from the Shrike. Bird number five was European Starling - an abundant bird, especially in the fall. Next I checked Gold Island in the Slocan Pool with my spotting scope and yes, there was the Bald Eagle (6), sitting in a snag near their nest. I had to wait until 11am before I could leave the house. Now the sun was shining warmly and the birds were singing. The first bird I heard was a Song Sparrow (7) and then a House Finch (8). I quick peek down into the wetland ponds turned up more geese and several pairs of Mallards (9). A Black-capped Chickadee (10) was singing in the distance. Ah yes, spring is here. I walked down Davidson Road and checked the feeders at my neighbour's house. More House Finches and some American Goldfinches (11). At the end of Davidson Road you can see all of Gold Island and the Slocan Pool. The eagles (2 Adults and one Immature) were active again swooping over a raft of Common Goldeneye (12) but this time the ducks flew off and the adult eagles alit on the Island and the immature stopped near Shoreacres Road. A pair of Common Mergansers (13) swam by. Continuing along the edge of the pool to Shoreacres Road I heard and then finally located a calling Steller's Jay (14). No sign of the local Blue Jay this time. I continued up McHardy Road to Swan Hill Rd to check a feeder that in the past had Chestnut-backed Chickadees. Not this time. But there was a Red-breasted Nuthatch (15) and more BC Chickadees. Overhead flew a Common Raven (16) and later I heard another one calling. A small bird alit in a shrub. It was a lone Pine Siskin (17). Finally, close to home and inside the Doukhobor Cemetary, were some American Robins (18). I was pretty sure I head a Killdeer but wasn't able to confirm it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment