Bird List To Date

Friday, March 5, 2010

Slocan Pools Trail


Today I walked to the Slocan Pools following the railroad tracks. By car, Slocan Pools are accessed from Hwy 3A near the Dam Inn pub in South Slocan. It's not a well known trail but well used and easy with little elevation gain.   A 2-3km loop trail goes through the forest with views of the pools on the lower trail. On my walk the first new bird I encountered was a flock of Dark-eyed Juncoes (22) which are often observed near my mailbox. The pools trail didn't disappoint me. The first song I heard was that of a Winter Wren (23) singing his heart out. I was elated when I was able to experience seeing 4 species at close range all at once. First a curious Red-breasted Nuthatch came over after he heard me phishing. Then a second one. Their excited calling brought over a small flock of Golden-crowned Kinglets (24) and Black-capped Chickadees. Soon they were all calling and coming into view checking me out. Finally, I saw a pair of Chestnut-backed Chickadees (25). Yes! 

In a sunny spot on the trail I came across a very active wood ant nest. See photo above.

No comments:

Post a Comment