Bird List To Date

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Walking about

Took advantage of the nice weather and the offer to visit a friends property who will soon be moving. I rode my bike over as the property is just off Hwy #3 between Playmor Junction and the Slocan River bridge. Most of the property is heavily treed with conifers but I was nicely surprised to see some very large birch trees with a diameter of more than a foot. We heard some singing Hammond's Flycatchers, Cassin's Vireo, Swainson's Thrush and Townsend's Warbler. A flock of calling Red Crossbill's (116) flew overhead. Sarah says she often sees a mother turkey hen and her brood but we didn't see any today. We did come across these very interesting looking mushrooms. Anybody know what they are? I emailed my photo to a mushroom expert and he says they are: Elf's Saddles, Gyomitra infula. They are not edible!



No comments:

Post a Comment