Bird List To Date

Monday, May 17, 2010

Catching up


Away for a week and the birds arrived. The first bird I saw on my return on Saturday was a male Black-chinned Hummingbird (76). Around here he rules the roost. I call him the bully as he sticks his pudgy breast out. The next bird was a pair of Western Kingbirds (77). They have nested each year down the road from me. I'll have to check soon if they rebuild in the same location. Their nest was blown out of the lower bracket of the transformer during an earlier windstorm. A short walk after dinner allowed me to see some Chipping Sparrows (78) near the tall fir trees they seem to inhabit every year. While eating dinner outside (I love this warm weather!) we heard a Spotted Sandpiper (79). They too nest in the grassy flat area beside the river.

Today I headed up river in my little red kayak. I got out and walked the Ward Ferry trail where it meanders through a grassy area. I looked for Hairy Woodpecker as last year we found a nest but no luck. I saw my first Canada Geese goslings and they were pretty big already. On the Ward Ferry trail I heard or saw Yellow Warbler (80), Warbling Vireo (81), Townsends Warbler (82), Hammond's Flycatcher (83) and Western Tanager (84).

Just as I returned home I noticed a bird perched in the top of a dead conifer. Thinking at first it was a Robin as they seem to be everywhere I decided the tail was too long and the head too small so checked it out with my binos. Sure enough, it was a Mourning Dove (85). 

Others birds seen or heard: HOFI, BCCH, BEKI, OSPR, BAEA, BUFF, MALL, NAWA, RUHU, CAHU, BHCO, BRBL, RWBL, AMCR, CORA, TRSW, VGSW,NRWS, MERL, SOSP, AMRO, CITE, COME, COGO. 

The following butterflies were seen: Common Alpine, Western Tiger Swallowtail, Field Crescent, Northern Cloudywings, Common Ringlet, Silvery Blue and Cabbage White.

A muskrat was swimming in one of the ponds this morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment