Bird List To Date

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Glade etc.

I rode my bike over to Glade this morning to check on the 3 nest boxes I monitor. They all had wasps...  The first was empty, the second looked like a Chickadee nest (lots of moss) and the third was a Tree Swallow with the nest almost complete. 

I saw some Bank Swallows (89) zipping around and calling 'chrrrr'. Then a flock of Wild Turkeys (90) which I almost missed I was concentrating looking at what I thought was a Western Bluebird, but couldn't relocate it. 

Riding along Shoreacres Road near the Highway I have in past years always seen and heard Lazuli Buntings (91). I was not disappointed today and saw a beautiful red, white & blue male perched at the top of a tree singing his heart out. 

The elusive Western Meadowlark has been singing constantly in my back yard the past few days. I guess he's making up for having been silent for so long!

At Glade I came across a Variable (Anicia) Checkerspot Butterfly. 

Yesterday, some friends were over visiting and one of them found a birds nest! I was so excited but what was it. It was on the ground, fairly large (robin size) and with brownish eggs. Once I got back to the house we checked my egg books and decided it was a Brewer's Blackbird nest. This also fits with the description of the bird that was seen very near the nest and have been around our house daily. Cool! First time I've seen their nest before! I thought they nested in trees but they apparently have multiple nesting preferences.  See the image below of the nest. I'll keep you posted on any progress.


Just a few minutes ago, while checking on the progress of my plants around the garden shed a Western Garter Snake startled me. He quickly made tracks in the opposite direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment