Bird List To Date

Friday, April 30, 2010

Forest birds


I went over to the forested trail that runs along the Slocan Pool and walked the loop. Nashville Warblers (65) and Cassin's Vireo (66) were singing. I also heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch give his nasal 'yank yank yank' call. The quiet tapping of a Downy Woodpecker alerted me to his presence and I finally located him when I stood right beside the tree he was tapping on as I put my ear to hollow trunk and heard his tapping amplified. That was a first! I was hoping for a Hairy Woodpecker but not today. On the upper part of the trail I was once again privy to see and hear two Cooper's Hawks. They were vocalizing with their 'kek-kek-kek' sound. Two years ago, in almost the same spot, I heard the same sound and witnessed two Cooper's Hawks copulating. Other birds I saw was a lovely Varied Thrush and American Robins. The Bald Eagles were at their nest on Gold Island. I was happy to see a Pileated Woodpecker (67) just as I was leaving the trail. Again, I heard an unusual sound but didn't see anything so I waited. Then I saw the Pileated slowly sidle up a tree. He gave his loud call as I bade farewell to the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment